On Board Favell

On Board Favell




On Board Favell

Dated 1930; inscribed with title on the reverse Watercolour over traces of pencil, unframed

30 by 21.5 cm., 12 by 8 in. (mount size 45 by 37 cm., 17 by 14 in.)

Claude Muncaster was born in West Chiltington, Sussex. Originally name Grahame Hall, he changed his name by deed-poll in order to avoid confusion with his father, the Royal Academician, Oliver Hall. He first came to notice with his views of London and the Docks, some of which were commissioned by City firms and exhibited at the Royal Academy. In 1925 his Demolition of Hays Wharf was purchased by the Tate Gallery and in the following year he was to hold his first one-man show at the Fine Art Society. In 1931 he was elected an Associate member of the Royal Society of Painters in Water-Colours, becoming a full member in 1936. From 1940-44 he served in the R.N.V.R. advising on camouflage and in 1946-7 he received a major commission to paint a series of watercolours of Royal residences. Particularly known for his marine subjects and views of the Sussex countryside, works by him are in a number of public collections. He lived in Pulborough, Sussex. In 1930 Muncaster boarded the Favell at Barrow-in-Furness, bound for Helsinki, traveling as a passenger and ship’s painter. The weather conditions were difficult and the voyage lasted almost six weeks and the recorded in his biography, The Wind in the Oak, by Martin Muncaster, 1978, pp.29-32. Favell was built in 1895 at Albion docks, Bristol. In 1930 she was under Finnish ownership and sailing as a grain ship between the UK and Australia. She was broken up in 1937.


Height 30 cm / 12"
Width 21.5 cm / 8 "