The Last of the Galleried Inns - The George, Southwark

The Last of the Galleried Inns - The George, Southwark



REX VICAT COLE(1870-1940)

The Last of the “Galleried” Inns ” The George, Southwark

Signed and dated 1930 l.l.; inscribed with title on a label on the reverse and inscribed: Rebuilt late 17th century on the plan of its predecessor.Oil on panel

30 by 36 cm., 11 by 14 in.(frame size 44.5 by 51 cm., 17 by 20 in.,)

Dating back to medieval times The George is the only surviving galleries London coaching inn. Approached via a narrow entrance off Borough High Street is in now owned and leased by the National Trust. Reginald (Rex) Vicat Cole was the son of the artist George Vicat Cole. He began to exhibit in London in the 1890s and was elected a member of the Royal Society of British Artists in 1900. He taught at King’s College London with Byam Shaw and together they opened their own establishment, the Byam Shaw and Vicat Cole School of Art in Camden Street, Kensington in 1910. At the outbreak of the First World War Vicat Cole and Byam Shaw enlisted in the Artists Rifles, although Shaw soon transferred to the Special Constabulary. After Shaw’s death in 1919 Vicat Cole was Principal until his retirement in 1926 Known for his landscapes and paintings of trees he also had a keen interest in depicting the streets of London.He held a one-man show “London Old and New” at Robert Dunthorne’s Gallery, Vigo Street, London, in 1935 and planned a book The Streets of London which was never published. He exhibited at the Royal Academy and elsewhere


Height 30 cm / 12"
Width 36 cm / 14 "
Framed height 44.5 cm / 17 "
Framed width 51 cm / 20 14"