Raven Tor, Coniston by William Gershom Collingwood

Raven Tor, Coniston by William Gershom Collingwood



Raven Tor, Coniston – Winter Afternoon from the shoulder of Wetherlam, above Hole Rake

Signed and dated l.r.: W G Collingwood/1912; signed inscribed and dated on the reverse: Raven Tor, Coniston / (Winter Afternoon, from the shoulder of Weatherlam, above Hole Rake
Watercolour heightened with white

25.5 by 35.5 cm., 10 by 14 in.
(frame size 41.5 by 51.5 cm., 16 ½ by 20 ¼ in. )

William Gershom Collingwood was born in Liverpool, the son of the watercolour artist William Collingwood. He initially studied at Liverpool College and in 1872 went to University College, Oxford where he met John Ruskin. During the summer of 1873 Collingwood visited Ruskin at Brantwood, Coniston who encouraged him to study at the Slade School of Art between 1876 and 1878. He first exhibited at the Royal Academy in 1880.

For many years Collingwood dedicated himself to helping Ruskin, stayin gat Brantwood as Ruskin’s assistant and travelling with him to Switzerland. In 1883 he married Edith Mary Isaac and settled near to Ruskin in the Lake District. He edited a number of Ruskin’s texts and published a biography of Ruskin in 1893. By the 1890s Collingwood had joined the Cumberland and Westmorland Antiquarian and Archaeological Society, eventually becoming its President. He founded the Ruskin Museum in Coniston in 1901.