BLANCHE LINDSAY (1844 - 1912)Caroline Blanche Elizabeth (nee Fitzroy), Lady Lindsay, was a painter, writer and musician. She married Sir Coutts Lindsay in 1864 and together they founded the Grosvenor Gallery in 1877, with most of the funding coming from her. The Grosvenor Gallery became London’s leading independent art gallery and a focus for the Aesthetic Movement in the early 1880s. They separated in 1882 but Blanche Lindsay to maintain an active artistic salon in her homes in the London and the country, playing host to painters Watts, Millais, Leighton, Burne-Jones and others. She was active as an artist, exhibited between 1880 and 1903, showing at the Royal Institution of Painters in Water Colours, Royal Institute of Oil Painters, Royal Scottish Academy, Royal Hibernian Society, Society of Women Artists and elsewhere. In 1879 she was elected a member of the Institute of Painters in Water Colours.