JOHN COLE (1903 - 1975)
The Doll’s House, Kensington Church Street
Framed Height: 56cm
Framed Width: 66cm
JOHN COLE(1903-1975)Â The Doll’s House, Kensington Church StreetÂ Â Â Â Signed l.l.Oil on canvasÂ 41 by 51 cm., 16 by 20 in.(frame size 56 by 66 cm., 22 by 26 in.)Â Exhibited:London, Royal Academy, 1941, no.203;London, Royal Society of British Artists, September 1954, no.209;Portsmouth Museum & Art Gallery,Â The Cole Family, Painters of the English Landscape, 1838-1975,Â 1988 no.168.Â Literature:T J Barringer,Â The Cole Family: Painters of the English Landscape 1838-1975, Portsmouth City Museums 1988, pp.179-180 (no.168)Â The quirky wooden shop of 27b Kensington Church Street stands in a small cul-de-sac off the main street and is still in use today.Â Â The builders George Jones & Son (whose name is discernable on the door to the right of the painting) operated from the yard next door well into the early part of the 21stÂ century.Â John Cole was the son of Rex Vicat Cole.Â Â He is noted for his unsentimental depictions of London shop fronts, often quaint and old fashioned.Â Â He exhibited widely, including at the Royal Academy and New English Art Club.Â Â He held official positions with a number of artistic bodies, such as the Campden Hill Club and the St James’ Art Society.Â Â Pictures by him are in many public collections.